Sue Dorrington's 60/60 Appeal
Sue Dorrington, former England Women's Rugby Team player and independent event fundraiser is embarking on a mammoth challenge to raise much needed funds for Ruils.
Sue has been friends with Gareth Savin (our chair) for over 25 years. In 1992 Gareth was injured playing for the Richmond Under 19 team. He sustained a spinal injury when a scrum collapsed and he never walked again. Sue was at an England training session at Loughborough University at the time and after hearing about the accident, she went to visit Gareth at Stoke Mandeville and they have been friends ever since.
"I was walking the Thames Challenge last year with Carolyn and Cathy and learned so much more about the important and impactful work of Ruils. I was inspired by their passion and commitment to Ruils and the services and projects being delivered in the Borough of Richmond and as we walked and talked, I asked myself…what more can I do, with 30 years charity fundraising and special event management behind me, surely I can give more…
I love a challenge and decided to set myself a target to raise £60K for Ruils in the year leading up to my 60th birthday…so, it will be a journey and one that I hope you will join me on…for updates on how to get involved…check this site for new, silly and serious ways of helping me raise much needed funds or Ruils". Sue
Sue is creating all sorts of wild and wonderful events and activities (and partnering with other charity events) so that her colleagues, friends and family can help her to run, walk, cycle, swim, eat, think and laugh her way into my 60's!
Can you help? Would you like to get involved?
You can do this by creating your own event, taking part in one or more of Sue's 60th Appeal year events, sponsor Sue, make a donation! Whatever you do, know that your support will make a real and significant difference to Ruils!
Sue's Appeal Fundraising Updates:
- Prudential 100 Cycle Ride, 30 July. Four riders raised £3,225 for Ruils
- Sainsbury's Richmond bucket collection, 8 September raised £250 with the help of Amanda Winterburn
- The Royal Parks Half Marathon raised £1,393 on 8 October
- A Boden Charity sale at Ruils & donations from Hummingbird Bakery cupcake donations raised £374
- Carol singing at Richmond Station on Friday 15th December raised £730
- Our Annual Rugby Dinner with Legend Lawrence Dallaglio OBE raised a phenomenal £25k
- A Quiz Night at the Sun Inn hosted by Joe and Margy Clark on Thursday 19th April 2018 raised £1,000
- Prudential 100 Cycle Ride, 29 July 2018. Sue raised £1K
Sue’s Final Fundraising events in her £60K for 60th year Appeal to push her over the £60K line!
- Christmas Carol singing on Friday 21 December at Twickenham Station, 5.00 – 7.30 pm
- Ruils Annual Rugby Dinner, Thursday 7 February 2019 at Richmond FC – This year we will be joined by Dick Best, ex Lions and England coach, flanked by Peter Winterbottom and Mickey Skinner. Tables on sale here. The dinner sells out every year so book now to avoid disappointment!
Let's all get behind Sue as she takes on this enormous challenge.