Volunteering at Ruils
Looking for a new challenge?
Want to give back to your local community?
Come and join our dynamic team.
As a volunteer you can really make a difference and help to improve the lives of the people we support. We have different opportunities to suit your available time, skills and experience.
Contact Kirsty at Volunteering@ruils.co.uk
or 0208 831 6083.
We are looking for Volunteer Befrienders
The key role of the Volunteer Befriender is to assist those in the community that have no one else that they are able to ask for help. As a volunteer you will be able to help clients with a variety of tasks and in some cases just be that person who breaks up their day giving them someone to talk to.
Befriending with Ruils is different because we aim to work with anyone over the age of 18 who has mental health conditions, long-term health conditions or disabilities. Our service is not tailored to only the elderly population, as feelings of loneliness and isolation are not just experienced by this demographic. Our service is tailored to the individual. Every client is different and has different needs, interests and skills. Your role is to support them to do the things that they like or need to do, but are unable to do on their own. This could include
- Meeting with someone who is lonely and isolated and having a tea and a chat
- Driving someone to a hospital appointment, to the local shops or a community activity (volunteer driver)
- Visiting with an elderly person, so their carer can have a break
- Helping someone with small practical tasks e.g. filing paperwork, sorting out boxes, decluttering
- Helping someone to use their computer or tablet.
- Taking someone to the shops and having a cup of coffee.
You will be able to choose what you would like to help with and we will try to match you accordingly.
Volunteers will be placed subject to a successful reference check and DBS check.